SAN JOSE, Calif. –MMAjunkie.com(www.mmajunkie.com) was on scene and reporting live from today’s official “Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Finale” fighter weigh-ins, where all 18 fighters successfully made weight for their upcoming matchups.
Today’s festivities took place at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., which also hosts Saturday’s Showtime- and Showtime Extreme-televised event.
Headlining the event are heavyweight grand prix finalists Josh Barnett (248 pounds) and Daniel Cormier (238), who each weighed in comfortably under the heavyweight limit.
Barnett and Cormier meet in the long-awaited finale of the eight-slot world heavyweight-grand-prix tournament. Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and challenger Josh Thomson also hit the scale prior to their five-round title fight, and both came in a touch light at 155 pounds.
The “Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Finale” official weigh-in results include:
MAIN CARD (Showtime)
- Josh Barnett (248) vs. Daniel Cormier (238)
- Champ Gilbert Melendez (153) vs. Josh Thomson (153)
- Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante (206) vs. Mike Kyle (203)
- Nah-Shon Burrell (170) vs. Chris Spang (169)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)
- Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante (156) vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg (156)
- Virgil Zwicker (204) vs. Guto Inocente (205)
- Derrick Mehmen (205) vs. Gian Villante (205)
- Quinn Mulhern (170) vs. Yuri Villefort (170)
- Bobby Green (155) vs. James Terry (156.25)*
* – Terry has two hours to lose the remaining one-quarter pound